[time-nuts] Orbiting crystals

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sat Jun 27 04:46:30 UTC 2009

Hi Antonio,

not an expert on space qualified crystals, but I would think that in
general Cesium and Rubidium crystals would be steered very quickly (within
seconds?) to correct for any crystal jumps that surely will happen even, or
especially in space.

In a GPSDO, we generally only have one correction pulse per second from the
 GPS, and that one is even noisy and needs to be filtered. In an atomic
clock, we  can steer the crystal without this 1Hz limit.

A good gps receiver will use over-determination and not use a single sat to
 generate the 1PPS. And even then a GPS 1PPS is expected to be noisy.

Bye,
Said

In a message dated 6/26/2009 16:26:22 Pacific Daylight Time,