[time-nuts] Orbiting crystals

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Jun 28 15:30:41 UTC 2009

iovane at inwind.it skrev:
> Thanks all.
>
> Let's explain why I would like to look at orbiting crystals.
> In brief, along with some friends of mine, I am carrying some
> experimental work in the field of gravitational anomalies, and
> tests with vibrating matter are part of this work.
> This field of research has a background also in the work of
> others with atomic clocks. As an example, the Chinese
> Professor S.W.Zhou believed that at least one of his cesium
> clocks changed its rate in the path of a solar eclipse. See
>
> http://home.t01.itscom.net/allais/blackprior/zhou/zhou-1.pdf
>
> Look simply at the graphs. Zhou believed that cesium itself
> changed its rate, and instead I believe that the cesium-
> steered crystal "jumped". The plots actually would suggest
> jumps.
>
> Yes, crystal jumps are rare events. By "jump" I mean what has
> been well described by Magnus. I had never observed one at
> home, but clear examples may be often seen on the online GPSDO
> in Colima, Mexico.
>
> Making experiments during eclipses would almost always mean
> that a measuring instrument should be put in the eclipse path.
> This is not always possible, or at least it is quite
> expensive. So, I thought to take advantage of remote crystals
> that could transmit data about themselves while crossing
> eclipses.
>
> As far as I can understand, crystal jumps may not be due only
> to strain release, but also to rapid migration from one to
> another metastable state and vice-versa. I'm wondering if this
> could also occur in the presence of special gravitational
> circumstances such as during eclipses. We have clues (and even
> more the prior art has) that eclipses are special from the
> gravitational point of view (something strange and
> unpredictable does occur, looks like the forces do not play as
> expected) but we have not yet devised the ultimate
> undisputable test. We are still collecting clues, and the
> behavior of crystals in the eclipse path could give its
> contribution.

Do read the article I referred to on aging. I think that any
gravitational issues during the eclipse event is far less than the
effect of sudden cooling, loss of sunlight. Does the ionspheric TEC
change drastically? You need a good L1/L2 GPS receiver for that.
What is the means of comparision? 100 kHz radio transmissions? GPS? What
medium was used? Can any eclipse effects be seen in that medium?
Multiple phase comparision methods is needed to rinse out the effects of
them from that of the clocks themselves. Expect everything to change and
figure out ways to measure that to clear out what was affected and not.

For freak-events like this, everyone has their favorite root cause.

> Maybe the probability to get a significant result is not worth
> the effort of setting up, but I would like to explore this.
>
> Thanks for the tips and for cautioning me against the possible
> problems. Anyway I take from this brief discussion that there
> might be some possibility. I will meditate about.

Cheers,
Magnus