[time-nuts] GPS antenna installation problem

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 11:54:48 UTC 2009

2009/3/2 Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>:

>> Gaffa tape the cable to the supporting pipe with a small drip loop
>> into the connector.
>
> That assumes the cable gets to the outside of the pipe.  I was interested in
> the case where the antenna sits directly on the top of the pipe (not a
> bracket off to the side).

Find a rubber cork, or something which will not deteriorate, that is a
tight fit for the inside of the pipe. Drill a hole in it to pass the
coax through. Leave enough coax  out of the cork to attach to the
antenna and then press the cork into the pipe. The short length of
coax at the top will not be a strain on the connector and the action
of squeezing the cork into the pipe will further grip the coax to stop
it travelling downwards. You can also add a cable tie round the cable
just above the cork to stop it slipping down.

Just an idea.

73, Steve

> Some antennas are setup with the coax connector on the inside of a place with
> threads where the pipe attaches.  The coax has to go up the inside of the
> mounting pipe.  You can also use a bracket, but it's setup for the
> inside-the-pipe approach.
>
> Here is a drawing:
>  http://www.synergy-gps.com/images/stories/pdf/anttiming3000_tn888.pdf
>
> For a setup like that, I don't see how to get tape or anything else inside
> the pipe, so the coax will end up hanging from the connector.
>
> So the question is how much coax can you hang from a connector?
>
> Clearly a foot or 3 is reasonable because you need that much for a drip loop.
>  How about 6 ft?  20 ft?
>

> --
> These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer's.  I hate spam.

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD & JAKDTTNW
Omnium finis imminet