[time-nuts] HP3048A Phase Noise Test System

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Mon Mar 2 16:51:33 UTC 2009

Short answer: download an eval copy of TransEra HTBasic (purchasable for
about $1000 US/seat, usable for 30 minutes at a time otherwise).  Then unzip
a copy of the HP RMB software that's been tweaked to make it more compatible
with the emulator, at http://www.ke5fx.com/3048A_X01.zip .  Set up the
emulator according to the readme.txt file.  You can run the emulator with a
National Instruments GPIB board.  I don't know if it works with the HP
interfaces or not.

The docs for the 3048A system itself are at
http://www.hparchive.com/hp_equipment.htm , near the bottom of the table.

This is an arcane, patience-trying process, and not all functions and
features work properly.  But that's how you get to ~-180 dBc/Hz for free!

-- john, KE5FX