[time-nuts] GPS antenna installation problem

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Mar 2 19:43:54 UTC 2009

Hal,

Hal Murray skrev:
>> Gaffa tape the cable to the supporting pipe with a small drip loop
>> into the connector.
>
> That assumes the cable gets to the outside of the pipe.  I was interested in
> the case where the antenna sits directly on the top of the pipe (not a
> bracket off to the side).
>
> Some antennas are setup with the coax connector on the inside of a place with
> threads where the pipe attaches.  The coax has to go up the inside of the
> mounting pipe.  You can also use a bracket, but it's setup for the
> inside-the-pipe approach.
>
> Here is a drawing:
>   http://www.synergy-gps.com/images/stories/pdf/anttiming3000_tn888.pdf
>
> For a setup like that, I don't see how to get tape or anything else inside
> the pipe, so the coax will end up hanging from the connector.
>
> So the question is how much coax can you hang from a connector?
>
> Clearly a foot or 3 is reasonable because you need that much for a drip loop.
>  How about 6 ft?  20 ft?

I use such an arrangement for a 1,5 m pipe. Such a drop is not a
problem. I strain-relief the cable before dropping it further along the
roof and over the edge. Judging from the strain on it as it comes in to
the strain-releif, just the path over the roof takes away strain, but I
beleive that winds might be the biggest problem. This is still in the
quick and dirty department. Not as quick and dirty as another antenna up
there... but I will have to wait until spring and a dry roof before I
correct that... and the real fix needs some hardware work. Hmm. Maybe I
should do that while waiting for it. I have two antennas in need of
stable mounting. Hmm... :)

Cheers,
Magnus