[time-nuts] GPS disciplined mechanical clocks

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Wed Mar 4 21:33:55 UTC 2009

Don and group,

I was about to write about the "pendulum as a VCO" concept. I've seen
articles in the NAWCC Horological Journal that describe ways to do it,
but have been hesitant to do anything to my grandfather's Seth Thomas
wall clock. It gets wound once a week, and generally doesn't need
setting.

One thing about an old clock, though. The minute hand can be off by a
minute on either side of vertical due to gravity and  wear of the gears.

"Anathem" surprises on many levels, especially the 'alien' encounter.
Excellent "elsewhere" read, far from the daily news.

Bill Hawkins