[time-nuts] GPS disciplined mechanical clocks

Eric Williams wd6cmu at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 5 04:11:43 UTC 2009

Bryan Mumford (bmumford.com) did a lot of work developing pendulum clocks
that were driven by a Fedchenko electromagnetic drive.  The drive circuit
would both put energy into the pendulum and use the pulse to drive an
electric clock face to display the time.  He never got to the point of
disciplining the clock, but he did note that you could make fine adjustments
in the period by varying the drive current which changed the amplitude of
the pendulum swing and changed the period.  (Larger swings ran slower, as I
recall.)  You could theoretically discipline such a clock by varying the
current to lock the pendulum to a GPS source.  It wouldn't really be
mechanical, more of a hybrid, but I don't know how you'd discipline a
mechanical clock with a system that had to drive in parallel with the escape
mechanism, the two would fight each other.