[time-nuts] About HP10544A

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Mar 7 20:48:27 UTC 2009

DO NOT use a 50 ohm termination as this may damage the output emitter
follower.
At the very least the waveform distortion will increase considerably.
The output stage isn't designed to drive 50 ohm loads.
Nor is it intended to drive large capacitances so use a 10x scope probe
to keep the load capacitance down.
Its possible that your load capacitance is too high.
If so the npn emitter follower output stage will distort on the negative
1/2 cycle.

New 10544A's have a somewhat cleaner output than that.
Perhaps something is wrong with the emitter follower.
Maybe the emitter followers dc collector current isnt large enough.
Despite the warnings its relatively easy to open them up and repair them.
As long as you don't alter anything in the oscillator circuit it
probably wont be necessary to tediously retune the oven temperature
control system.

Bruce