[time-nuts] About HP10544A

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Mar 7 22:10:08 UTC 2009

Esa Heikkinen wrote:
> I also doubt that there could be something wrong with emitter follower
> so I also did some tests with "capacitive coupler" build on bottom PCB
> of the HP10544:
> http://www.amigazone.fi/files/gpsdo/544coupler.jpg
> (1 kohm. terminaton is not visible on the picture)
>
> Generally it's just a wire going over 10 MHz trace on the PCB and then
> it's connected to the spectrum. By this way it's possible to measure the
> output without loading it with any galvanic connection. Of course there
> is almost 30 dB of loss but it's not any trouble with spectrum analyzer
> having over -145 dBm noise floor.
>
> But with that kind of measure the output specrum looks like this:
> http://www.amigazone.fi/files/gpsdo/544-5.png
>
> So there's less harmonics but 2nd and 3rd are still high if compared
> with other OCXO's. Hard to say anything of higher harmonics because that
> kind of coupler takes in all background noise like FM broadcasts etc. so
> I wouldn't trust these measurements too much (and because of that I
> didn't even mention them at first).

Esa

The distortion now appears to be within specification.
You cant expect much better given the 10544A internal buffer amplifier
topology.
Your can always use relatively high Q traps for the 2nd and 3rd
harmonics if they are a problem.
The best location for these is within your external low distortion
buffer amplifier.

It would seem likely that the scope measurements with a ~ 50pF load are
misleading, try for a 10pF or lower load capacitance.
Your external emitter follower also has significant distortion when
driving a 50 ohm load.

Bruce