[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Hz/Volt setting

Peter Vince pvince at theiet.org
Sun Mar 8 21:21:20 UTC 2009

On the same page of tboltmon.exe where the disciplining time constant and damping
can be set (menu-bar Setup, Disciplining), there is a section in the top right
where the EFC parameters are set. By default these are -5.0 Hz/volt, min voltage
-5.0 volts, max voltage +5.0 volts.

Out of curiosity, I decided to find out what the actual Hz/volt value was.  My
Thunderbolt is one of the Time Nuts special offer batch supplied by TVB, Revision
E, 02-13-04 (other numbers on the label are 28609017 and A002206.G1   I presume
one of those is a serial number?)  By manually setting the DAC voltage plus and
minus 0.1 of a volt, I found my unit only changed by 3.17 Hz/volt.  (I also
checked for linearity by setting plus and minus 1 volt, with a very similar
result.)  I presume the unit will work better with the correct value, so have
saved that, and will watch to see.   Has anyone else experimented with this?

Peter