[time-nuts] Reverse isolation

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Mar 8 22:48:58 UTC 2009

I've been learning a little bit about this lately from my friend who is
an Agilent network analyzer apps engineer.

He tells me that "hot S12" tests can be done with modern network
analyzers.  The key is being able to offset the frequencies enough so
the front end of the analyzer doesn't get creamed.  For example, you put
+10dBm at 11 MHz on the input, and +10dBm at 10 MHz on the output.  Then
measure S12 using a narrow bandwidth in the analyzer.  Hopefully the DUT
frequency response is flat enough for that to be meaningful.

In any event, it's a challenging measurement.

John
----