[time-nuts] Thunderbolt performance in holdover mode

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 13 15:56:15 UTC 2009

Hello Said,

The Tbolt OCXO has an internal temperature sensor that takes care of the compensation of temperature changes within the oven.  I do not think that they bring it out of the oven and monitor it in firmware.

I think that they feed the external temperature sensor into their compensation equation to handle systemic effects of temperature on the parts of the unit and power supply not  covered by the oscillator oven.  I think that the effects of temperature on the power supply would be the most important variable.

Also they do sell a version of the Tbolt with a TCXO (no oven).  I suspect that the external sensor is quite a bit more important there.  Finally the external temp sensor is used for generating environmental alarms.