[time-nuts] French Time offset

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 18 18:21:03 UTC 2009

53 bytes was the longest you could do and not require echo suppression for a path across France.  The US is so huge, they had already bit the bullet on needing echo suppression, so they wanted longer packets, to reduce the header overhead (as a percentage).  There were also some "timing jitter" requirements, and how much buffering was considered reasonable for "real time" response in voice applications.