[time-nuts] Loran-C & French Clocks

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Mar 19 23:16:10 UTC 2009

Arnold Tibus skrev:
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 00:04:51 +0100, Magnus Danielson wrote:
>
>> Arnold,
>

>>> To remove another questionmark partly:

>>> The german time is fixed by law to MEZ=CET, the Central European
>>>
>>> Time, which again is fixed by the same law to the Universal
>>> Time Coordinated (UTC) as MEZ = UTC+1h.
>
>> Many thanks!
>
>> If you have web-pointers to the respective texts let me know.
>
> Of course Magnus, no problem. But it would be helpful to be
> multilingual, because such laws are very seldom translated:
>
> Easier to start from the rear: The german PTB is charged to distribute
> the legal time for Germany (done via DCF77) , as defined in the
> german 'Zeitgesetz' as summarized here:
> http: //www.ptb.de/de/org/4/44/441/dars.htm

English version is on
http://www.ptb.de/en/org/4/44/441/_index.htm

> "Das Zeitgesetz von 1978 (Bundesgesetzblatt 1978, Teil I, S. 1110-1111),
> zuletzt geändert durch Artikel 1 des Gesetzes vom 11. Juli 2008 (BGBl.
> Teil I, S. 1185) und nun umfassend "Einheiten- und Zeitgesetz" genannt,
> legt u. a. die gesetzliche Zeit in Deutschland und die Rolle der PTB fest."
>
> Interesting statement in that law (excerpt) :
> "§ 4 Gesetzliche Zeit
> (1) Die gesetzliche Zeit ist die mitteleuropäische Zeit. Diese ist bestimmt
> durch die koordinierte Weltzeit unter Hinzufügung einer Stunde."
>
> If I interprete correct, this part implies clearly that MEZ = CET  i s  based
> fix on UTC ! I can derive therefore that all countries using officially CET
> are fixed to UTC as well !!

I now see the passage which I is to be interprented as UTC -
koordinierte Weltzeit - Coordinated Universal Time.

 From the above page the actual law text is available in full on the
first resource-link.

Be careful not to use language in one countries law to be used in
interpretation of another countries law. It could help you to get a clue
of what they mean, but it could lead you up the wrong tree.

>>> According to the pic showing the time zones (annex:
>>> Les fuseaux horaires et les décalages par pays au 1 juin 2000
>>> Crédit: H.M.N.A.O.) most countries are affixed to UTC.
>
>> Well, it may not be exactly right...
>
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 00:11:22 +0100, Magnus Danielson wrote:
>
>> If you look at the map Arnold linked to, you will see that France sits
>> very neatly into the Zulu-timezone. Infact, France is better served by
>> it then GB. I have enjoyed the incorrectness of France time-zone-wise on
>> my many travels to France, so I am not complaining from a practical
>> point of view, but it would not be my first choice if I would choose
>> something for France.
>
>> Map:
>> http://media4.obspm.fr/public/amc/images/mesure-temps/images/849.gif
>

> everything possible, because as already mentied in this thread, most
> people may still not have understood the 'fine differences', I doubt it
> at least for most politicians ... ;-)  (perhaps some countries do really use
> today UTC and did not change the expression 'GMT' in their law for that
> reason incl. Denmark?)

Actually, the politicians does not deal with fine-grain details like
these. They have a staff of people gifted in all kinds of areas which
aids with the details, and few of them has a clue either, but hopefully
they know who to send a draft to in order to get quality feedback on it.

Interestingly enough, the Danish government agencies obviously is aware
of the distinction between the GMT which their law identifies and the
UTC that Poul-Henning is feeding the ISPs with. Obviously this does not
help them to get the boll rolling in the parliament.

Cheers,
Magnus