[time-nuts] New GPS Signals

brooke at pacific.net brooke at pacific.net
Wed Mar 25 16:11:38 UTC 2009

Hi:

There are three new civilian GPS signals, L1C, L2C and L5.
http://www.prc68.com/I/DAGR.shtml#GPSs
The original civilian signal, L1 is at 1575.42 MHz (154 * 10 * F0,
F0=1.023 MHz).

L1C is at the same frequency as L1 but uses the code like Japan.

The new L2C signal is at 1227.60 MHz (120*10*F0).  Allowing for path
length corrections.

The new L5 signal is at 1176.45 MHz (115*10*F0).  This is intended for
aircraft safety.  It also has the largest frequency difference to L1 so
should also be the best for determining the path length through the
ionosphere/troposphere allowing for a more accurate time fix.

I'm hoping my Polaris Guide receiver will get upgraded firmware to get
these signals as well as have WAAS added.  See:
http://www.prc68.com/I/DAGR.shtml#Pol

Are there any new timing GPS receivers that take advantage of the new
signals?

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com