[time-nuts] Datum 9390 Problems

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 27 19:22:14 UTC 2009

Thomas Folkers skrev:
> All,
>
>    I just got a call from Larry Dearing of Symmetricom indicating that a
> new set of PROMS are on the way.  At least for the 9390-6000 unit. The
> 9390-52333 is just too old and should be replaced.
>
>    I want to thank all who provided input and to the individual who
> forwarded my original email to tech support at Symmetricom.
>
>    Apparently the fasted way to tech support is through this new group.

Good that they give you some support anyway. Ask them what expected
endtime they have for the new FW. The reason you are interested in it is
that you and anyone else want to know before which date you need to make
a planned decommissioning of the units.

I know one set of 9390 that is being decommissioned as result. They
where already scheduled for decommissioning eventually, but they where
not too happy about the early self-decommissioning that they
experienced. Had they known the end time of FW support was in GPS week
1524 they would have either received FW upgrade or been decommissioned
in an orderly manor.

This is how we should handle this in the long run. We need to know these
things so that we can make meaningful operational decisions on GPS
receiver equipment, wherever they are. I will have to inform my
customers as well as others have to. We also need to verify this, partly
just to verify what is stated but also to discover what is not stated.

Cheers,
Magnus