[time-nuts] state of the art devide by ten

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Mar 30 04:32:35 UTC 2009

Bill Janssen wrote:
> I want to construct a divide by ten or a divide by 100 frequency
> divider. This is to take my 10 MHz. from my
> Rubidium to 1 MHz. or 100 KHz.
> I could use the spare 74xx90 chips ( which I have) but I would like to
> make some thing useful for future
> uses. What would be a "through the hole" type of IC that would have less
> jitter than a 74xx90. I CAN do
> surface mount if I have to.
>
> Thanks
> Bill K7NOM

Bill

If you want as low a jitter as is possible with a given logic family
don't use a ripple carry (between the divide by 5 and divide by 2
sections) device like a 74XX90. unless you use an external flipflop to
resynchronise the divided output to the 10MHz clock.

CMOS logic families like the 74AC can have a cycle to cycle jitter for
an inverter clock buffer as low as 1ps. (Even HCMOS inverters can have a
cycle to cycle jitter of around 4ps).
However achieving this requires a suitable clock shaper and a low phase
noise source.

Bruce