[time-nuts] Hand Held GPS]

paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 30 12:29:02 UTC 2009

Magnus Danielson wrote:
> David C. Partridge skrev:
>>> Do things never break in good weather?
>> Yes, but only when all the people able to fix them are away on holiday or
>> off sick, or you've run out of the necessary parts.

Or the customer has used up all the spares to expand the network :-)

> When ever else?
>
> Things almost always fails when least convenient.
  snowstorm... (we had to send a bandwagon of people to shovled the
> stations free so the A/C could work again)... just to mention a few
> highlights... and not to speak of having people overnighting on the
> mountain due to weather conditions...

I recall a winter Island visit where the weather blew up and ferries
were cancelled for a couple of weeks, hotels and guest houses ran out of
food and beer.. hmm!

In terms of snow and ice, we sometimes have issues with uWave links
during the actual falling of snow but only when the snow is wet. The
same snow sometimes creates GPS alarms but holdover is good for these
short breaks.

Generally in the UK we are fairly lucky with site access, only a few
helicopter and argocat type sites and for routine maintenance its often
easier to go on foot. Hence the reason for reducing the required
equipment to carry. It;s fascinating to see how different maintenance
groups get over their site issues. I'm also involved (on the periphery)
of a system in Norway where access is probably going to be a greater
issue, I expect the Norwegians will have their own ways to cope and will
see this as quite normal. Just like in the "sand pit"  we have different
ways to achieve the same thing

Regards Paul

--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI