[time-nuts] Thunderbolt gpsd > ntpd failure.

John Murphy swl at freeode.co.uk
Fri May 1 04:01:29 UTC 2009

Thanks for all the replies.

Hal Murray wrote:

> The configure step takes parameters.  You need to do something like:
>
> ./configure --enable-SHM

That could well be the problem. I'm using the stock ntpd which came
with the FreeBSD release, so it may not have the SHM driver.

Scott Mace wrote:

> Here is what I did to get it to work:
>
> http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2008-August/032726.html
> http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2008-August/033106.html
> http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2008-August/032803.html

I think I had read those, but I figured most of it had been
committed and just made the change in tsip.c which is now:

      gpsd_set_speed(session, session->gpsdata.baudrate, 'N', 1);

gpsd is V 2.38 which was the latest in the fbsd ports tree and
that line was #80 so I'll need to work out where the other changes
go if they haven't been committed.

> You need to make sure your kernel has the sysvshm option:
> options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory

Yes it has that line in the kernel I built.

> I have a couple of thunderbolts working with net4501s using the TMR1IN
> mod:  http://www.febo.com/pages/soekris/

That's exactly the page I've used and it's all working very nicely.

> I used a TAPR fatpps to stretch the pulse so the net4501 would be happy.

Me too, with the addition of 51 ohms across the input. I'm not
running the serial data through the fat-pps though. It seems
better that way.

Thanks for the new diff. I'll see if I can work out how to apply
the changes to 2.38 at the week end, but I also plan to fix the
GPS antenna to the roof this week end. Too much time in holdover
where it is currently.

Thanks again.

--
John.