[time-nuts] Linux time servers

Folkert van Heusden folkert at vanheusden.com
Fri May 15 15:26:10 UTC 2009

> : > You might consider switching to FreeBSD for more reasons than just
> : > timing, It's much faster than Fedora and I found the new 7.1 version easy
> :
> : much faster in what respect? tested how?
>
> The usual benchmark that's cited here is the mysql tps scaling better
> than Linux.  See for example
> http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/mysql.html.  The numbers in
> this "paper" are a little dated (being for 7.0 and a little over a
> year old), they show good scaling.  Of course, this isn't the place to
> debate that in extreme detail (for example, there are other pages I
> can't find right now that show newer versions of Linux, some better,
> some worse as changes to the scheduler help or hurt performance).  It
> is no longer the case that you can automatically assume Linux performs
> better.  You have to measure things and make sure you use the system
> that best matches your performance requirements.
> Also, on a 7.1R system, you need to make sure that you enable tagged
> queueing.  A last minute change botched it.  7.2R is out now too.

You can't say that freebsd is faster than linux; you specifically need
to specify what version of freebsd and what version of linux you're
using. Also the hardware platform matters as well as the compiler (and
version) used to compile mysql and numerous other parameters.

What would be interesting is how a specific linux-kernel with the pps
patches by rodolpho compare to a specific freebsd version with the same
ntpd compiled using the same gcc and such.

Folkert van Heusden

--
Feeling generous? -> http://www.vanheusden.com/wishlist.php