[time-nuts] FreeBSD, NetBSD, or Minix-III?

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sat May 16 20:43:45 UTC 2009

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <4A0EBDEE.2020703 at erols.com>, Chuck Harris writes:
>
>> A "watch" isn't exactly a challenge to an operating system.
>
> Well, no.
>
> But figuring out correct handling of time is a challenge for operating
> system programmers.

Very true...

> I have no idea how the timing code is in minix3, but I do know
> how much time it took me and subsequently Warner to get it right
> and good in FreeBSD.

Given that minix was written by a CS professor who has no apparent
experience with real time operations, and has never been heard from
on timenuts, I would guess it will be primitive.

> I'll still claim that FreeBSD is a generation ahead of all other
> operating systems with respect to timekeeping, if for no other
> reason, because FreeBSD is the only OS that truly splits the
> nanosecond.

I don't believe that will be happening in a message passing microkernel
(like minix) anytime soon... unless you build all of the timekeeping
software into the kernel, and then you are in the process of becoming
a monolithic kernel ;-)

-Chuck Harris