[time-nuts] FreeBSD, NetBSD, or Minix-III?

Bob Paddock bob.paddock at gmail.com
Sat May 16 21:24:28 UTC 2009

> I think there is more use of microkernels (eCos, RTEMS, Erlang, etc.) in the
> embedded world. The environment is more constrained, so reducing the
> footprint is useful.

There is also the new µC/OS-III (yes, three) that "provides near zero
interrupt disable time. µC/OS-III has a number of internal data
structures and variables that it needs to access atomically. These
critical regions are protected by locking the scheduler instead of
disabling interrupts. Interrupts are disabled for almost zero clock
cycles, ensuring the RTOS will be able to respond to some of the
fastest interrupt sources."

In the day job I'm designing near pager size devices, heading down to
watch size devices.  Current project has a U-Blox GPS hooked up to a
AVR XMega Event System pin.  Any Time Nut suggestions on what to do
with it?  Has 120x32 bit LCD display,
and small speaker, also.