[time-nuts] FreeBSD, NetBSD, or Minix-III?

Stanley Reynolds stanley_reynolds at yahoo.com
Sun May 17 16:42:54 UTC 2009

Why not add a hardware latch with a fixed delay to read. That is the delay controls the latch function after the counter is static as well as the interrupt. Then reset the latch buffer on the last read. We have a fixed hardware delay plus a software delay to allow for but eliminate some of the variability. And reduce the failed read due to software delay. Now a second interrupt / read will indicate delays greater than the tick rate if our OS has interrupts that are off greater than the tick rate minus the delay of the latch. Our choice would be to slow the tick rate or reduce the interrupts off blind time if we have many failed reads where the tick is more than one. The idea would be to reduce the error to a rare event. This problem is like the meta stable problem discussed here before so perhaps the fixes are the same.

Stanley