[time-nuts] Msg to N.Z. time nuts

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon May 18 03:03:42 UTC 2009

> I am assuming my GPS clocks I have are correct (too early here to get
> WWVH reception).

> Hoping the one second delta is not me!

I have seen consumer grade GPS receivers be off by a second while claiming to
be OK.

One case was a gross software bug.  I think it was triggered by a pending
leap second.
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/ntp/leap-gps.gif

One was off by a second for 13 seconds just before the leap second kicked in.
 I assume they inserted it on GPS midnight rather than UTC midnight.

The interesting cases are just off-by-a-second quirks.  I think they happen
when the receiver is recovering from a too-weak signal.
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/ntp/GPS18LVC-glitch1-off.gif
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/ntp/GPS18LVC-glitch2-off.gif