[time-nuts] Msg to N.Z. time nuts re time pips

Murray Greenman Murray.Greenman at rakon.com
Mon May 18 18:34:07 UTC 2009

Geoff,
I'm not in a position to check at present, but have also noticed
discrepancies in the time pips in the past. I'd not use a GPS receiver
for this, as they can easily indicate a second or so out. I use a GPS
Disciplined Receiver (HP Z3801A or Trimble NTGS50AA) for the job.

I suggest you talk to Dr Tim Armstrong (T.Armstrong at irl.cri.nz). He's
the guy who looks after the official NZ time service, which is the
source of those time pips. The equipment is at Gracefield in a room with
three Caesium standards. He should be able to explain how the time pips
are distributed, and you may find (if you encourage him a little!) that
he is also interested in measuring their delivered accuracy as well.

Regards,

Murray ZL1BPU