[time-nuts] HP 5370A socket problem

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Wed May 20 13:19:03 UTC 2009

I think the problem with gold contacts for connector junctions and
solder connections was already discussed a while ago.

I have no experience with the mentioned 5370A problem,
but I may give general remarks out of my experience on similar things.

Gold is a very good but expensive material for removable junctions
connecting gold to gold surfaces but very bad in conjuction with tin.
The problem  may be very often due to gold leaching

For that case trained persons removed for all the hirel connections in our
satellite electronics the gold platings using special tinning procedures
before final soldering.

But attention, in some cases the gold is plated over nickel, which is
very bad for solder connections, it will not successfully join together!

There some good informations about it, eg.:
http://www.tkb-4u.com/technical-papers/soldering/soldering-gold-over-nickel
http://www.sem-lab.com/GoldEmbrittlementofSolderJoints.pdf
and
http://www.circuitree.com/Articles/Feature_Article/f29d4e24587d7010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0____
(Electroless Nickel/Immersion Gold, Solderability and Solder Joint Reliability
as Functions of Process Control)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_plating

Searching around you will perhaps find even better articles.

I have never experienced problems with gold contact surfaces on even
in harsh sea environment. On critical connections as there are coaxial
antenna connectors on airplaine antennas we used to clean the surfaces
and put a thin protection film of natural neutral vaseline on (acid free!),
perhaps not necessary for normal home environment.

regards

Arnold