[time-nuts] 5070B once more.... (actually 5370A fans)

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Wed May 20 15:53:27 UTC 2009

Yes,  I have replaced the fans in four 5370A and 5370B counters with modern 12V brushless DC motor units connected to the 10V supply.  VERY nice and quiet.  I did before and after thermocouple tests in the chassis.  The temperatures were basically unchanged (+/- 3C).  Variances could easily have been due to the probes shifting.

I have also done several dozen HP16500 logic analyzers and Tektronix TM5003 and TM5006 mainfarmes.  On the TM5003 and TM5006, I run the fan on 8V.  They are almost dead silent.

Use the lowest current fan that you can find...  they tend to be the quietest.