[time-nuts] 5070B once more.... (actually 5370A fans)

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu May 21 17:12:24 UTC 2009

In message <4A15808F.4090002 at karlquist.com>, "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" writes:

>"Modern" fans obey the same laws of physics as the original equipment.
>They don't magically produce more airflow for less noise.

Agreed: there is no magic to it.

But a lot has happened in aerodynamics since Hermann Papst invented
the external rotor motor and had to add fans to keep it cold.

In recent years noise from air transport have become a competition
parameter, and these days you can buy standard fans that move twice
as much air at the same dB level, as you would have found five years
ago.

As for reducing air-flow in old kit: I wouldn't do that without a
careful session with a thermovision camera.

Poul-Henning