[time-nuts] 5070B once more.... (actually 5370A fans)

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu May 21 17:13:47 UTC 2009

It's not necessarily magic. It's things like better blade design that gets you same air performance with less noise.  I used to work for a company which made fans for use in the theatrical/entertainment market (so quiet is important).  We went through dozens and dozens of different blade/housing configurations to find ones that were both quiet and performed well.

Unfortunately, it's a task that is not made simpler by CFD modeling.. The relationship between flow and sound production is so complex that empiricism (i.e. trying lots of ideas) is cheaper (unless you're designing propellors for nuclear submarines).

And, once you have a design that works, you have to be careful about patent infringement.  Each "muffin fan" vendor has patents on their particular blade design.

  It
> would also be a mistake to assume automatically that all HP
> equipment is overdesigned.  I remember one logic analyzer was
> referred to internally as the "logic furnace", which had a
> high failure rate.

And there's the 8663A signal generator as well.