[time-nuts] 5070B once more.... (actually 5370A fans)

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Fri May 22 18:21:00 UTC 2009

When I swapped my 5370A AC fans for DC fans I was concerned that the inverter in the fan motors might have some effect on the performance of the instrument... after all,  it is measuring stuff at the part per trillion level.

I was rather surprised to see that,  if anything,  the internal jitter went down a couple of picoseconds (taking the standard deviation of 10,000 samples of the internal reference).  Granted, it is a number that tends to bounce around quite a bit.  Both units seemed to drop a couple if picoseconds (an improvement of 10-15 percent).  I did not try putting the old fans back in to see if the jitter increased again.