[time-nuts] TAPR TADD-2 PIC frequency divider

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat May 23 11:45:45 UTC 2009

John,

John Ackermann N8UR skrev:
> Magnus, thanks for the nice comments!

You are most welcome.

> Regarding the case, yes, the form factor generally matches the TADD
> enclosure, but since that's a generic box we couldn't do much about the
> LEDs or the ARM switch.  My thinking was that the LEDs could be mounted
> off-board if necessary, and I'll update the manual to indicate that.

Well, I see what you had to work with.

Don't forget to add that a toggle-switch for 5/10 MHz input might be a
good idea if it is being used in a mixed frequency lab environment. It
could also be made remote for complex situations.

> Since the TADD enclosure has two DB-9 cutouts, one nice option (which I
> haven't tried yet) would be to wire the LED, the 5/10 MHz jumper, and
> the ARM switch connections to a DB-9 and mount that in the enclosure,
> then mount the LEDs and jumpers to a mating connector.

I was actually contemplating the same. I think that would be a good
solution. It would also allow for remote control and monitoring. Tossing
in a PPS in there should not be hard and would make sense.

It is actually an interesting detail that except for the output jumpers,
most controls of function allows for remote control. This would allow it
to be used in a programmable setup. It would not be too hard to build a
little add-on board with a mux that can mux out the correct signal
through control of 3 pins. Just put a small block header connector on
the board and it slide onto the jumper header of the board.

> Finally, the manual is very much a work in progress... I had to choose
> between getting the kits put together so we could ship before the Dayton
> Hamvention, or getting fully polished docs finished, and chose to move
> ahead with the kitting.  I'll be working on improving the manual shortly.

Well, I am happy for that decission.

Beginners might need some more detailed assistance and more experienced
builders with a tired mind could just relax by having an assembly order
list. Beginners might also need some directions on how to read components.

Cheers,
Magnus