[time-nuts] 5070B once more.... (actually capacitors)

Tom Clifton kc0vsj at yahoo.com
Sat May 23 23:38:36 UTC 2009

The word we got from our Dell National Accounts rep was that there was a run of contaminated electrolyte affectring several capacitor manufactures. Gee, go figure QC issues in a country still painting toys with lead based paint...

Any way, I recently purchased a pile of low ESR caps from Mouser to fix five machines from the junk pile at work to build more linux utility boxes.  (perhaps $40) Turned out being a lot harder than I had anticipated as the internal ground planes on the Dell Motherboards made the old caps dogs to remove, and the new ones very hard to solder back in without cold joints.

After the first one, I returned the others to the pile and picked up other machines with good motherboards and bad hard drives or power supplies to get the rest of the machines I needed.

Guess I failed rework-101...