[time-nuts] Time Signals on TV signals

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Mon May 25 16:52:55 UTC 2009

Aficionados of accurate time,

I have two Panasonic DVD TV recorders, a DMR-EZ27 and 28. They were set to
automatically sync time to a TV station. This worked fine until a few months
ago. Now they are on manual time, but, of course, they drift.

Tried to turn automatic time setting back on this morning. The screen says,
"This may take a few minutes." It still said that 10 minutes later, as the
busy indicator continued to rotate through three spots.

Gave up on automatic and asked the only group I know that might know.

Why did TV stations stop broadcasting time signals? HDTV requirements?

Could a cable company interfere with the time signals?

Thanks,
Bill Hawkins