[time-nuts] PCI IRIG receiver card for AIX?

Joseph M Gwinn gwinn at raytheon.com
Thu May 28 20:52:01 UTC 2009

time-nuts-bounces at febo.com wrote on 05/28/2009 11:08:31 AM:

> And depending on what you mean by "industrial grade", they also have
> the bc635 board in a CompactPCI form-factor, too.  Or at least they
> used to some years ago.

I remember that card from 1995!  The BC635 would be suitable.  If still
made.

> I don't know what sort of drivers they have for AIX.  I didn't use
> their drivers for FreeBSD (v3.0 back at the time), but you could
> probably cobble up a pretty minimal driver or use existing OS
> facilities to just memory-map the PCI device registers which
> you can manipulate from user space.  As I recall, when you perform
> a read-access on one of the registers, it will latch a 64 bit
> timestamp into two other device registers that you can read at
> your leisure.  There are other capabilities, like programmable
> interrupt generation that the board can perform, too.

I don't know of an AIX driver, but perhaps...

That's how I would do the driver as well.  I'm trying to buy something, if
possible, and in any case given the expense of writing a driver the
question will surely come up.

> On interesting experiment I did with the bc635 was to program it
> to generate an interrupt, and then latch the time in the
> interrupt service routing to measure interrupt latency.  Pretty
> scary sometimes..

I would be doing something not quite that dangerous.

I need to trigger software to talk to hardware on a fixed schedule about
15 times a second, where the hardware has hardware (10 MHz and 1PPS)
access to the time, and complains if commands arrive too late.

Joe G