[time-nuts] HP/Symmetricom 58535A and 58536A

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Nov 1 12:28:00 UTC 2009

bg at lysator.liu.se wrote:
> Hi Said,
>
>> I think the added noise of the Amp may play funny with the Thunderbolt's
>> receiver, and there may not be anything wrong with your splitter.
>>
>> M12M's and uBlox receiver's don't have a problem at all, even if two units
>> are cascaded. They do start to have issues with three splitters in series.
>
> Did you check that you have enough signal power for the Tbolt, when
> cascading (passive) splitters?

If cascading active splitters, the gain should be about 0 dB, but the
S/N degrades.

If I recall correctly, the HP/Agilent/Symmetricom range of splitters are
all active.

When running multiple splitters, adding an LNA to raise the level such
that S/N degradation does not suffer as much is probably wise.

Cheers,
Magnus