[time-nuts] LORAN C shutdown

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 10 07:59:31 UTC 2009

Correct,
They are already at a price and size where they are making it onto light aircraft. An IN platform is life cycle cost competitive with a mechanical vertical/directional gyro pair and adding navigation is "just" (cheap apart from the RTCA DO-178 assurance) software.
Echos of the end of Omega. The company I was working for had just added GPS modules to their Tracor Omega/VLF navigation systems. Unfortunately as the GPS was secondary to the Omega, they were not able to use them when the Omega was turn off.

Robert G8RPI (MRAeS, day job avionics design engineer)