[time-nuts] 5370B PROM

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Tue Nov 10 23:01:44 UTC 2009

At 05:29 PM 11/10/2009, Bruce Lane wrote...
>you describe were, if I recall correctly, compatible with being read
>from
>a text file as long as the programmer being used to make a new device
>supports the format in question.

The common Intel Hex and Motorola S-Record formats have the advantage
of being able to incorporate checksums to assure some level of
integrity, which is why they're used to distribute PROM files. Both
enjoy almost universal support. A binary file has no such protection.

The srec utility ( http://srecord.sourceforge.net/ ) can translate
between many common formats, including binary.

The image Joe went out of his way to obtain turns out to be the same as
the 5370B image discussed earlier on the list (and which I documented
at http://www.flatsurface.com/5370A/index.html ), but there's another 4
1/2 years of 5370B date codes beyond, so there may yet be a newer
version.