[time-nuts] Rubidium standard

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Thu Nov 12 17:29:31 UTC 2009

I've been a Time Nut for a couple of years.  During that time I've
repaired a couple of dead Efratom FRK Rubidium standards.  Both were 20+
years old.  One had a dead transistor and the crystal oscillator in the
other had drifted so far that it couldn't lock.  Both problems were easy
to fix.  Other than that type of general electronic failures the most
likely failure seems to be the Rb lamp itself.  It gradually degrades
and eventually the lock fails.  One of my FRK units is actually below
spec for the lamp, but it is still locking okay.

Ed