[time-nuts] The Demise of LORAN (was Re: Reference oscillator accuracy)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Nov 15 01:13:05 UTC 2009

> I've read and heard from this forum as well as a number of other
> sources that GPS can be easily jammed.  What makes GPS so vulnerable?
> How can it be jammed?

The signal is very very very weak.  The question is not how can it be jammed,
but rather how can you find the signal at all.

There was a recent message here reporting on the 5th harmonic of a small 315
MHz radio link wiping out GPS for a 1/2 mile:
  http://www.mail-archive.com/time-nuts@febo.com/msg22033.html

Here is a good story:
  Unjamming a Coast Harbor
  James R. Clynch, Andrew A. Parker, George Badger,
  Wilbur R. Vincent, Paul McGill, Richard W. Adler
  GPS World, Jan 1, 2003
  http://www.gpsworld.com/gps/system-challenge/the-hunt-rfi-776