[time-nuts] The Demise of LORAN (was Re: Reference oscillator accuracy)

Scott A Sybert ssybert at kb1fxy.us
Sun Nov 15 17:43:02 UTC 2009

Exposing vulnerabilities always make for a more secure product.

Hiding known security risks or possible avenues of sabotage only creates a false sense of security.

I'd rather know how vulnerable GPS is and have paper maps & charts than have the false sense of security it's an untouchable system because it's high up in space or any other argument of redundancy, etc.

Bottom line is, talking about the possible vulnerabilities for technical purposes isn't giving the enemy any ideas they don't already have.

China shot down a weather satellite a few years ago testing a rocket.

You don't think there was an underlying message to that?  Believe me, The enemy has ideas AND capabilities we haven't even come close to covering.

And my opinion,  Maybe Obama should take one less flight to Europe talking down about his own nation and spend that 190M on supporting LORAN for the next 10 years (obviously inflated flight costs but you get the picture)

Lets face it, the arugment about saving money shouldn't start on cancelling FUNCTIONAL and NECESSARY programs.

There's plenty of earmarks, bailouts and other waste that we could EASILY cancel to come up with the 190M required to keep this NAVIGATION system online another decade.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
Scott
CISSP.