[time-nuts] The Demise of LORAN (was Re: Reference oscillator accuracy)

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Nov 16 00:25:38 UTC 2009

Mike

Instead of relying on the dubious claims of those marketing an extremely
inefficient jammer it would be better to actually do some simple
calculations.

Typical commercial receivers stop tracking with a Jam to signal ratio of
not more than 60dB or so:
http://www.gpsworld.com/gps/jamming-gps-778

The input signal level at the receiver input is around -160dBW.

A 1W ERP source with an isotropic hemispheric radiation pattern will
exceed the the required jamming signal strength for distances less than
several tens of kilometers.

This estimate is consistent with the fact that LO parasitic radiation
from TV systems on boats have been known to jam GPS for distances of
several kilometers.

Bruce