[time-nuts] The Demise of LORAN (was Re: Reference oscillator accuracy)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Nov 16 00:30:06 UTC 2009

>  Jamming Range : Average 40 meters radius
>  Output Power  : Total 6.5 Watt

>  ratio : 40/6.5 = 6.15 meters/watt

Isn't received power 1/R-squared?

I think those calculations should be radius-squared/watts

I find it interesting that the products designed as jammers have ranges of
"only" a few 10s of meters while a recent message here said 1/2 mile from a
digital-radio link that was transmitting on 315 MHz.  (aka designed for
something else rather than as a jammer)

Similarly, the Monterey Bay jammer wasn't trying to be a jammer, and it wiped
out a huge area.