[time-nuts] The Demise of LORAN (was Re: Reference oscillator accuracy)

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Mon Nov 16 01:33:16 UTC 2009

Not all GPSs are on airplanes, but those I am really worried about are.

I don't care if the GPS receiver in my cell phone stops working in some
locations, it does not work everywhere to begin with (like in the house, I
can't use it to find the bathroom in the dark...), but I worry that the one
guiding a missile or a fighter plane might not work. I also worry that the
one abord a large passenger aircraft might not work. Most of those that are
stationary or move on the ground or on water, I am not too worried about.

For instance, the local garbage pickup people use GPS to locate the houses
of customers who have unusual (large or unsafe, or possibly contaminating)
garbage to pickup. I have had a dead TV on the side of my house for 3 weeks,
three times I called and 3 times they missed it because the GPS guided them
to my front door (my normal mailing address), but I live on a corner lot and
the garbage pickup is on the side of the house, by the garage. If that
particular GPS receiver stopped working and forced the employees to look
around, it would not bother me (the TV ended up in the trash can. After 3
times and 3 weeks, I assumed I had done a reasonable attempt at avoiding
putting too much lead in the garbage, and it had to go.)

Didier