[time-nuts] The Demise of LORAN (was Re: Reference oscillator accuracy)

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 16 04:55:25 UTC 2009

A *much* more effective and cheap strategy is a repeater jammer.. Receive
the signal and retransmit it: two antennas and an amplifier. The victim sees
the delayed retransmitted signal at a higher level than the direct one. It's
sort of like creating fake multipath interference. No need for PN
generators, oscillators, etc.

Granted, a smart receiver that *understands* the relationship between SV to
user geometry and doppler can beat it (because the carrier phase and PN
phase of the repeated signal won't be consistent with the geometry), but the
run of the mill PN tracking loop probably won't.

Most inexpensive receivers use a single bit sampler, so a suitable CW tone
could also probably jam it effectively, but might require some knowledge of
the victim receiver to pick an appropriate frequency (i.e. You'd need to
know the sampling rate.)