[time-nuts] MTBF (was Rubidium standard)

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 18 21:21:11 UTC 2009

Sorry Mike , unless, as someone else said, the figures are derived from
field failures over at least a good porton of the expected like the MTBF
tells you absolutely nothing!! The statistics used on the usual 1000hour
test will only tell you the probability of failure in the first 1000hours of
use!! It cannot tell you anything mathematically about the extrapolated
life....this has become another urban myth. If it works it is more by luck
that by mathematical probability.

Alan G3NYK