[time-nuts] MTBF (was Rubidium standard)

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Nov 19 00:03:44 UTC 2009

Hi Poul,

that AGS system existed only on the LEM, and only to abort  a lunar
landing. It couldn't even dock the two craft.

Mindell discusses in great detail how they went to a single-computer
digital Autopilot on pages 138 to 143, because they considered a failure so
remote as to being able to do away with redundant computers, or in-flight
repair. Since all CM thrusters are controlled by the CM computer  software, a
landing would not be possible without it. See also figure 6.2  on page 142.

But I think there was a manual way to start/stop the main engines, so maybe
 this would have been useful if the main computer failed to at least get
back  into an earth orbit?

This was apparently the very first fully-digital 100% fly-by-wire  system
ever, and probably the last one that did not have redundant computer  backup.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 11/18/2009 15:30:36 Pacific Standard Time,
phk at phk.freebsd.dk writes:

In  message <d03.691da87f.3835dc47 at aol.com>, SAIDJACK at aol.com  writes:

>No CM computer, no return to earth. I think this is also  discussed in
the
>movie Apollo  13.

http://history.nasa.gov/ says otherwise.

Lot of good stuff  there.