[time-nuts] MTBF (was Rubidium standard)

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 19 01:49:48 UTC 2009

Yeah, but in the one-off spaceflight world, MTBF calculations don't get used
much, except perhaps to compare designs. (e.g. A design with an MTBF of
200khrs is probably better than one with 2000 hrs)

The problem is that it's a statistical sort of life measure: out of 1000
units with an MTBF of 1000 hours, you can expect 500 to still be working at
1000 hours.  It doesn't say much about whether your ONE box will be working
at 10 hours, which is typically what you're worried about.

What they do is buy good parts, use really skilled people and consistent
processes, check everything 20 times (and how many times did we look at each
solder joint), test the bejeebers out of the box at many stages, put a
couple thousand hours on to get past infant mortality issues, and hope for
the best.

This is a somewhat conservative approach, which is why Mars rovers with a
requirement for 90 day life are still going some 6 years later.