[time-nuts] OT - GPS and North

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Nov 21 18:25:00 UTC 2009

>  Agreed Magnus, but I dont think any gizmos are required. If the the
> positions of the satellites are known, as they must be to enable the
> antennas position to be calculated, I think just an extra set of
> calculations is necessary to indicate the direction to anywhere else
> on the  planet (or elsewhere) including the geographic poles. Getting
> the magnetic pole directions would need something else I suppose.

I think that only works if your antenna is bigger than a point source.

Consider the simple case of a car radio.  Which way is the transmitter?

If you have a directional antenna, say a yagi or dish for your TV, you can
figure out what direction the signal is coming from by rotating the antenna
and measuring the signal strength.

With multiple antennas you can use phased array techniques.