[time-nuts] Thunderbolt reception problems

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sun Nov 22 23:14:32 UTC 2009

In a message dated 22/11/2009 21:23:49 GMT Standard Time, bg at lysator.liu.se
 writes:

AMU and  SNR are two different scales. I do not have a translation. A
Kepler award  recepient once explained Trimbles AMU as "a meaningless
unit". That said,  SNR or C/N0 values cannot be directly compared between
different receivers  since the measures might be taken at different points
in the  receiver.

The Trimble monitor program can be made to switch between AMU  and SNR in
one of the configuration menues. I think you might have switched  to SNR.

----------------------
Ah, that explains it, I wasn't aware there were two options but you're
quite right.

I don't recall switching it, and Thunderbolt Monitor doesn't seem to have
the option to switch it anyway, but I found the option in GPSMon 1v05  and
1v6 and it can indeed be toggled.
Whereas GPSMon changes the label of the field to suit it doesn't help that
Thunderbolt Monitor leaves it described as AMU regardless of the  setting:-)

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR