[time-nuts] GPIB help

Skip Withrow swithrow at idcomm.com
Tue Nov 24 03:52:43 UTC 2009

Hello Time-nuts,

This could be opening up a can of worms - but here goes.

I need some help/direction with programming my 5370B over GPIB.  I have NI
GPIB-ENET/100 and have install NI's Measurement and Automation software.
All is good, the software sees the instrument and I can issue commands and
get responses back.  So far so good.

Now the tricky part.  I would like to write a program that collects TI
values to feed to TVB's ADEV program.  First I should ask - is there one out
there that someone is willing to share?  Being that I'm pretty ancient in
the programming world and have not caught up with VB or C.  So, I have been
trying to write a BASIC program and use direct access to the gpib-32.dll.
It has been very frustrating!  I can seem to get the global addresses of the
ibxxx functions, but no luck on getting error and status information back
(iberr, ibsta).
For example:
SYS "LoadLibrary", "GPIB-32.DLL" TO gpib%
SYS "GetProcessAddress", gpib%, "ibdev" TO ibdev%
seems to return an address for the ibdev function.

But,
SYS "LoadLibrary", "GPIB-32.DLL" TO gpib%
SYS "GetProcessAddress", gpib%, "iberr" TO iberr%
does not seem to return the address of the iberr global variable.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Skip Withrow